“What is at stake is the increased chance of a loved one getting sick and then taking him to the hospital and dying during the holidays,” said Henry Walk, director of the Covid-19 accident at the CDC.
As the United States tries to get past the coronavirus thanksgiving unscathed, Europe is already worried about Christmas.
“It’s a small signal, but it’s a sign nonetheless,” Kluge said.
You asked. We answered
Q: Is it still safe to go to the gym?
When Virginia entered the second phase of reopening in June and the gyms were allowed to reopen, Minnick consulted one of its members – a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech – to help make the facility safe. Lindsay Marr, who joined 460 Fitness about two years ago, has experience delivering viruses through the air, air quality and nanotechnology.
Among the measures it has taken: opening large doors around the facility, exercise stations 10 feet apart, not sharing equipment, not traveling around the gym, and a carbon dioxide monitor to track indoor levels – a good indicator of whether viruses are present building up in the air.
What is important today
Europe averted the collapse of Covid – here’s what the United States can learn
Covid-19 is spreading faster than ever in the United States, with hospitals in some states operating at full capacity. America is now in the same position as France, Belgium and the Czech Republic last month, when rapidly growing infections put healthcare systems weeks away from collapsing.
“What we did in Europe is by no means perfect, these governments are likely to react a bit slowly, but at least they do react, and are doing everything they can to make sure that health services are not overburdened… and I think this is clearly what is required in the states. United, “said an expert and scientific advisor to the British government.
The first White House press briefing on the Covid virus in months presents two contrasting realities
Dr Birx, who was a senior member of the task force, said she was traveling across the country in an effort to encourage conservatives and other state and local leaders to enact measures that would stop the spread of the virus, urging people repeatedly to wear masks – and wear one during the briefing. But it has achieved mixed results at best – including access to the Trump administration itself.
In a completely different fashion, Vice President Mike Pence gave a much better assessment of the epidemic in America, saying that the United States was “never more prepared” to confront the virus, as it speaks against the need for nationwide closures and school closures.
The World Health Organization says that remdesivir should not be used on hospitalized Covid patients
The new WHO update comes about a month after Gilead Sciences, the manufacturer of Remdesivir, announced that the US Food and Drug Administration had approved the drug to treat a coronavirus infection. Remdesivir has become the first coronavirus treatment to receive FDA approval. On Thursday, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted emergency authorization to use a combination of remdesivir and the rheumatoid arthritis drug paritinib to treat suspected or confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus.
Dr Amish Adalja, a senior researcher at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, who was not involved in WHO guidelines, said remdesivir may have received FDA approval but not a WHO recommendation due to emerging research. Studies initially showed some benefits against Covid-19, but as more data accumulates this appears to be changing.
On our radar
- US Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin It pulls the Fed’s emergency funding plug, as the pandemic continues to spread across America.
- Supervisors at Tyson Meat Factory In Iowa, they have gambled on how many workers will contract Covid-19, even when they are denied knowledge of the virus spreading, according to new allegations in a lawsuit against the company and some employees.
- Basic Coronavirus outbreak aboard a US Navy guided missile destroyer It spread to nearly a quarter of the ship’s 300-strong crew, according to two U.S. Navy officials.
- Mexico The death toll from COVID-19 has surpassed 100,000 – making it the fourth country to reach this bleak threshold after the United States, Brazil and India.
- South Australia The six-day lockdown will be lifted on Saturday – a few days earlier than originally scheduled – after health authorities discovered that someone had lied to contact tracing officials.
- Japan It has recorded another daily spike in Covid-19 cases, but the government says there is no need for the emergency.
The most important advice
Public health experts make it clear that you should not travel to attend Thanksgiving or celebrate with people outside your immediate family. But tradition can still be hard to frustrate – especially when it means saying “no” to your family.
“You shake hands with one person from heaven with this virus.” – Reverend David Sealy’s physician