California imposes a nighttime curfew to limit the spread of the Coronavirus.
Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that all non-essential business and gatherings must stop between 10 PM and 5 AM, starting Saturday. The order will apply to 41 counties – most of the state’s population.
Daniel Strauss of The Guardian says:
Joe BidenComments about who he was planning to choose to run the Treasury in his administration provided little clues as to who he might have been.
Biden’s description underscores the approach he said he would take to shape his administration. The president-elect promised to fill the Biden administration with an intense focus on inclusivity. He said he wanted his government to reflect the country and represent a range of perspectives and ethnicities.
Although Biden’s comments suggest that the Chief Treasury Secretary would not be someone seen as an opponent of progressives, like CEO JP Morgan Chase Jimmy Damon Or for the banking community. It also means that he is a liberal candidate like the Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren Biden might not have been chosen either.
Lyle Brainerd, A member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, often referred to as Biden’s collective choice. It is not closely allied with any active wing of the party and can satisfy or at least not anger any interest group too much. She will also be the first woman to serve as Treasury Secretary.
Today until now
The White House Coronavirus Task Force press conference is now over, and that’s it for me today. My West Coast colleague Manvi Singh will take over the job for the next few hours.
Here’s where it stands today so far:
- Anthony Fauci spoke at the Coronavirus Task Force press conference, In his first appearance on the White House stage in months, Fauci celebrated developing a vaccine against the Coronavirus, but urged Americans to be careful about respecting public health guidelines. “If you are fighting a battle and the cavalry is on their way, don’t stop shooting,” the infectious disease expert said.
- Joe Biden offered his condolences to the loved ones of the 250,000 Americans who have now died from the Coronavirus. Speaking at a press conference in Wilmington, Delaware, the president-elect warned, “The country is still in crisis. There is still a dark winter ahead.”
- The Trump campaign continued to drive false allegations of voter fraud. As countries move towards certifying their election results. When journalists pressed the Trump campaign for evidence to substantiate their claims at a news conference today, the president’s lawyers criticized the journalists, accusing them of “underestimating” their false claims.
- Another 742,000 Americans filed for new unemployment benefits last week. Which represents a slight increase from the previous week. This news comes a month before 12 million Americans will lose unemployment benefits, unless Congress can pass another coronavirus relief bill.
- And Republican Birds in Wayne County confirmed that Donald Trump called them Tuesday night, After she and her colleague tried briefly to prevent the province from certifying the election results. Trump has reportedly invited Michigan state representatives to the White House, as the president and his allies attempt to overturn the state’s election results.
Maanvi will have more to come, so stay tuned.
Administration officials who spoke at the White House Coronavirus Task Force Briefing are sending a similar message to Americans: Be alert because the end of the pandemic is imminent.
“There is a light at the end of the tunnel,” he said. Alex Azar Minister of Health and Human Services. “This is not forever.”
Azar said that a brighter future awaits America. Eleven vaccines against the Coronavirus can be distributed. Azar added, “I want to see everyone get there.”
vice president Mike Pence The briefing was handed over to Dr. Robert Redfield Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to discuss school closures.
Redfield argued that it was possible for K-12 schools to safely perform personal instructions, saying, “They can do it safely, and they can do it responsibly.”
Redfield’s comments came a day after New York officials announced public schools would be closed again, after the city’s positivity rate was 3%.
Echo d Anthony Fauci Redfield said the country could see “the light at the end of the tunnel” as the candidate coronavirus vaccine was developed, and urged Americans to be careful about respecting public health guidelines.
While celebrating news about developing vaccines against Coronavirus, Anthony Fauci Emphasize the need to remain vigilant about social distancing and mask use.
Fauci indicated that he used the metaphor “cavalry is coming” to describe the possible imminent distribution of the Coronavirus vaccine.
But the infectious disease expert noted that the impending arrival of cavalry does not mean that we should stop fighting.
“If you’re fighting a battle and the cavalry is on their way, don’t stop shooting,” Fauci said. “Keep advancing until your cavalry is here, after which you may want to keep fighting.”
Instead, Fauci said Americans need to “double the public health measures because we are waiting for that help to arrive, which will soon be”.
We are not talking about locking down the country. We are not talking about closures. We’re talking about ramping up simple public health measures we’re all talking about, “Fauci said.
Fauci speaks at a White House task force briefing on the Coronavirus
Anthony Fauci The development of a vaccine against the Coronavirus was addressed in the White House Task Force briefing, the first time in months that an infectious disease expert spoke from the White House podium.
Fauci noted that Operation Warp Speed was “directly and indirectly supporting” six potential vaccines as candidates, four of which are in the final testing phase.
Fauci said the apparent efficacy of the Pfizer and Moderna Coronavirus vaccines is “extraordinarily impressive”.
Dr Deborah Birx The Coordinator of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, speaks at the briefing.
Birx called on Americans to “increase their vigilance at this moment”, expressing their concern about the rate of spread of the Corona virus across the country.
Birks notes that much of the spread appears to be caused by people without symptoms unwittingly transmitting the virus to their loved ones.
She said these cases emphasized the need to wear masks and avoid gathering indoors, despite the cold weather across the country.
Mike Pence He expressed confidence in the country’s ability to curb the spread of the Coronavirus, despite the recent increase in infections.
Pence said: “America has never been more prepared to fight this virus than we are today.”
The Vice President promoted recent announcements about developing a vaccine against the Coronavirus, saying: “Help is on the way.”
Public health experts, including d Anthony Fauci He said the vaccine will not be widely available to the American public until April.
Pence speaks at a White House staff briefing on the Coronavirus
vice president Mike Pence The White House Coronavirus Task Force press conference has begun and is the first such briefing since July.
Not like Donald Trump He will participate in the event, as he is not in the briefing room.
Dr Anthony Fauci And the Deborah Birx They sit in the briefing room, but it is unclear if they will speak during the briefing.
Speaking one day after the death toll in the United States from the Corona virus exceeded, Pence said: “Our hearts and prayers are with all those families that have been affected by the Coronavirus.”
Joe Biden He pledged that he would not seek a nationwide lockdown after his inauguration in January, despite the recent increase in coronavirus cases.
The president-elect told reporters, “No national lockdown.” I will not shut down the economy. I will shut down the virus. “
Asked by another reporter about Donald TrumpBiden said that the unfounded attacks on the integrity of the presidential election, “it is difficult to understand how this man thinks.”
The president-elect added of his opponent, “I am sure he knows he hasn’t won.”