Business

Facebook says ban on Trump ‘indefinitely’

New York: Facebook does not intend to lift the comment on outgoing President Donald Trump, Sherrill Sandberg, second leader of the platform, said Monday.

“We were banned indefinitely. We said at least during the transitional period. We have no intention of removing it,” Facebook’s chief operations officer said in an online forum organized by Reuters.

The social network last week suspended Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts following the violent invasion of the US Capitol by a crowd of his supporters, disrupting the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.

Twitter went even further on Friday by deleting Trump’s account, denying him his favorite speaker.

Trump has also been suspended from services like Snapchat and Twitch.

“Our policies apply to everyone,” Sandberg said, noting that the platform removed the participation of the president’s son and “other world leaders.”

“This shows that even the president is not above our policies.”

Announcing the comment last week, Mark Zuckerberg, the head of Facebook, said Trump had used the platform to incite violence and was concerned that he would continue to do so.

Zuckerberg warned in late October of the potential for social unrest after the election.

Sandberg admits that the platform ran into some difficulties in the 2016 US presidential election and failed to do enough against the manipulative campaigns launched from Russia, but said Facebook learned from its mistakes.

Ahead of the presidential elections on November 3, the social network intensified its efforts to combat disinformation campaigns and suspended numerous accounts, groups, and pages with violent or hate-filled content.

Facebook said on Monday it was taking similar precautions before Biden was inaugurated as president on Jan.20, using the same teams to fight disinformation and content that could incite violence.

Content containing the phrase “Stop theft” will be removed from Facebook and Instagram, according to executives Monika Bickert and Guy Rosen.

Facebook said that a group with this name was removed from the social network late last year.

“We have allowed robust conversations about the election result and that will continue,” said Bikert and Rosen in a post.

“However, with continued attempts to organize events against the US presidential election results that could lead to violence, and the term being used by those involved in Wednesday’s violence in Washington, we are taking this additional step in the lead up to the opening.”

According to Bickert and Rosen, Facebook is also keeping a pause on all ads in the US about politics or elections, which means there are no ads from politicians including Trump.

Asked about the criticism of social media giants with great vigor, Sandberg said she supports more regulation and said she hopes to work with the Biden administration, which will take over on January 20.

She said, “We are a private company and we have a service that we provide, and it is our responsibility to make sure that the service is not used for things that should not be used for it, such as what happened last Wednesday.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button